Friday, October 26, 2007

"What are you going to do – kill yourself?"


Wristcutters



Trailer Here

"The kids are still big on death, yeah?"

Directed by: Goran Dukic
Staring: Patrick Fuggit, Shannyn Sossamon, Shea Whigham


I thought this might make a nice second post as Shannyn Sossamon stars in both this and the aforementioned One Missed Call. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the downbeat-whimsical-magical-realism genre (actually fuck the maybe, I really am) but I can't see a fucking thing wrong with this trailer.
Lets look: you've got a cruelly depressing view of the afterlife, the awesomely named Patrick Fuggit (from Almost Famous) proving that the rumours he'd been sinking hundreds of thousands of dollars into plastic surgery to look like Lucas Haaz are true, and Ms Sossamon doing something other than renting herself out as the budget-rate Angelina Jolie. Oh – plus a Russian guitarist who commits suicide by guitar and Tom motherfucking WAITS, hopefully clawing back some credibility after appearing in Domino.
The pacing of the trailer is tight – giving us a little taste of whimsy, comedy and drama and saving the glimpse of Will Arnett as a divine representative (I assume) until the end and yes, that is a briefly appearing Sol Starr. I mean fuck – this is nearly the perfect trailer!
Director Goran Dukic – waging his one man war to prove that Croatians are secretly hilarious – gave us 1991's classic Mirta uci statistiku (Myrtha Learns Statistics). Add that to this trailer and I find myself living in hope that this film will be as good as The Thumbsucker only people might actually go watch it.


HIT PREDICTION:Hipster kids will love it, it'll be in cinemas for a week and the DVD sales will be just enough to get Goran a new gig

2 comments:

David said...

It's a very tight trailer, and thanks for helping me realise that I wasn't so much recognising the female lead, as just subconciously being reminded of Angelina.

Dr Nic said...

You know, the more I watch this, the more I really think this is going to be a shit hot movie.